The Goa Energy Development Agency (GEDA) is an autonomous body established by the Government of Goa with its headquarters at Saligao, Bardez-Goa. GEDA is registered as a Society under the Societies Registration Act 1860, having a Governing Body headed by the Chief Secretary of the State. The Agency became operational in April 1996, exclusively to undertake all programmes in the field of Non -Conventional and Renewable Energy Sources. Apart from this, GEDA is also the Nodal Agency, which interacts with the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), Government of India, New Delhi, to implement the centrally funded and sponsored schemes, in the relevant field.
1.2 The Agency is fully committed to boost the use of Non Conventional and Renewable Energy Sources through the following steps.
- Intensification of awareness campaigns by undertaking demonstration programmes all over the State.
- Utilization of all promotional schemes offered by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), New Delhi.
- Installation and commissioning of Small (Solar Photo Voltaic + Wind) Hybrid Power Projects in the State.
- Publication of brochures, booklets and pamphlets giving details of various renewable energy schemes and devices available, for the benefit of the public.
- Allocation of funds and holding of “popularization/ demonstration” campaigns for an effective renewable energy programme.
- Collaboration with Rural Development Agencies, Block Development Offices and Non- Government Organizations for popularization of New and Renewable Energy Systems.
1.3 GEDA focuses on the promotion of Solar Thermal and Solar Photovoltaic systems/devices, Solar Rooftop Installations(NET/GROSS metering ) , Rural energy activities such as Integrated Rural Energy Programme (IREP) and Improved Chulhas Programme (ICP). Rural energy activities are implemented effectively in rural and semi-urban areas in association with the Block Development Officers. Other activities of the Agency involve promotion and establishment of solar projects in the state of Goa.
1.4 The Agency is managed by the Member Secretary under the auspices of the Chairman (GEDA) and with the help of technical and ministerial staff under the office of GEDA. Administratively, GEDA functions under the State “Ministry/Department” of New and Renewable Energy, headed by the Minister for Non-Conventional Energy and Secretary (Non Conventional Energy Sources), respectively.